Wednesday, May 29, 2013
Monday, May 27, 2013
(Or a large snapping turtle...)
(Or a small, tailless lizard...)
I'm certain I would love to see this at night!
There were over 20,000 glass spheres (above)
that light up in different colors at night.
The water towers, below, consist of over 10,000 one liter bottles
in 40 structures that light up and are musical at night.
Leslie Cheek and Mable Wood Cheek
who moved into the house in 1933.
(No photos were allowed inside the mansion where
the art museum and other artifacts are housed)
From the Cheekwood Website:
Thursday, May 23, 2013
- You are not praying for the leaders of our country. That does not mean praying that they will come around to your way of thinking. No, that means praying “Thy kingdom come, THY WILL BE DONE ON EARTH as it is in Heaven" Praying for our leaders to be in God’s will. (Matt. 6:10)
- You bash the President of the United States, then spout Bible verses: Blessings and cursing, this ought not to be! (James 3:8-10) Pray for our leaders.
- You bash congress, your local officials, or your next door neighbor.
- You still think this is a war between conservatives and liberals and not spiritual warfare.
- You post in social networking sites disrespectful, touched up photos of the president, other leaders, celebrities, or anyone else, making it appear they are doing things they are not. For example, there is a picture circulating around that has been photo-shopped to look like Obama is kissing UK Prime Minister David Cameron. You are disrespecting the highest office of America, and disrespecting the man God has allowed to be in office. If you don't want him there, PRAY GOD's WILL for America!
- You use your words carelessly in anything that you say, politically or in your daily life. We will all give account for every idle word we speak.
- The same goes for what you write, anonymously or otherwise.
- You don’t vote.
- You vote according to party/race/gender without prayerfully seeking the will of God before casting your vote.
- You let prejudices and biases get in the way of helping others.
Tuesday, May 21, 2013
Today I deleted my account on Huffington Post that allows me to post comments. While the news and the comments that follow are usually disturbing to me, lately it has been distressing. I realize HP is as liberal a media outlet as they come, but it is worrisome the ungodly way people believe...and solidly think they have justification in what they believe. It doesn't take long to realize that our world really is in a mess, and while I'm glad it's not my Home, I must live the life that God prescribed for me on Earth until it's time for me to go Home. Some days, I'm really, really ready to do just that.
Lately, I have been praying for Kenneth Bae, an American who was convicted of hostile acts toward North Korea (crossing the border and giving Bibles to orphans) and is now serving 15 years of hard labor. I know there are others in these types of terrible situations, but Mr. Bae has touched my heart, and I have been asking God to intervene.
People are fighting cancer and other catastrophic diseases; hearts are broken every where I look.
Yesterday, I had some stressful news regarding my daughter that breaks my heart for her. I put the situation in God's capable hands; He is certainly able to handle it, and in comparison with world events, it's a small thing. But we don't like to see our children upset, do we?
Last evening, when I heard about Oklahoma's devastating tornado...I had a longing for Jesus. I've come to realize that His returning is an event to be hoped for. I am thankful for His mercy and His longsuffering, because I know that there are unsaved people who desperately need Jesus, but more and more, I've come to just want to see Him...look upon His face, as the old hymn goes.
Do you think Jesus is coming soon? Perhaps even in your lifetime? "Soon," I know, can be a while yet. I don't like world events, but I do know Who is control, Who has the final say, and that is Who I serve, but that doesn't always stop the emotional toll of the deception and devastation around me.
If it were not for knowing God, I would be so anxious, so fearful, and very depressed. I cannot imagine living without the hope that He is...because I get antsy even so.
The Bible says to pray without ceasing. I understand why...you don't have to look anywhere to find prayer needs. Please pray for the Oklahoma tornado victims, and for Mr. Bae if he crosses your mind.
Monday, May 20, 2013
To describe even further what was going on in my head, I told myself exactly what was going on, and I still chose to eat. Willful gluttony...some of it premeditated. I reminded myself that it was sin and did it anyway. I am not proud of any of that. And I am not fully blaming it on 3 or pieces of chocolate candy, either. But that did put the wheels in motion. Honestly, it's not worth it. I much prefer walking in freedom.
Friday, May 17, 2013
Tuesday, May 14, 2013
I wanted to see what would happen when I put a background on a page...and I like it! I think I will do this more often.
There is a wonderful picture that my sister took some time ago, and if I can find it again...I just may "steal" it and use it as a background.
I guess on darker parts of the picture, I will have to use another font color. White may work pretty well.
This photo is a picture I snapped in Cades Cove a few years ago. I always thought a Bible verse overlay would be perfect for it.
Friday, May 10, 2013
Monday, May 6, 2013
Saturday, May 4, 2013
Ole Boy happened to need to be near the Mississippi state line very early, and since I was already up, I tagged along. After he took care of business, we headed up to Shiloh National Military Park in Tennessee.
We also bought a CD called Homespun Songs of the CSA by Bobby Horton, and we listened to songs like Dixie, Cumberland Gap, "Jine the Cavalry" which I thought was "Johnny Cavalry" through most of the song. (Bobby Horton is from Birmingham, AL, and quite talented. We enjoyed the CD)
Thursday, May 2, 2013
So as I was driving the kids to school this morning, I noticed a big white spot at the top if the door frame. As I'm getting closer and glaring with my mouth open I became aware of the freshly hatched spider sac. As I'm trying to close my mouth to avoid contamination, a slight squeal erupted from the depths if my soul. Immediately I noticed a trembling writhing in my core. It seemed to vibrate up my body and down my arms, which became limp rapidly flopping noodles that were uncontrollably slapping my face and body. This started a panic in the car which led to further screams of epic levels. As I'm jerking my hair down to slap myself more fervently and effectively in the back of the head (because that is the only logical place for all the spiders to go) I suddenly become aware that I am stopped in the middle if the road causing a scene that had been beneficial to 3 different vehicles and their personal amusement. Great start of the day, I would say.
This is my daughter's Facebook status update from yesterday. I laughed and laughed. She threatened to put spiders in my car. Her fear of spiders is probably from me, and I got it from my mom. Spiders....we hate them, and yet I call myself The Brown Recluse.
Wednesday, May 1, 2013
He makes the plans of the peoples of no effect.
11 The counsel of the Lord stands forever,
The plans of His heart to all generations.
12 Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord,
The people He has chosen as His own inheritance.
Will one turn away and not return?
5 Why has this people slidden back,
Jerusalem, in a perpetual backsliding?
They hold fast to deceit,
They refuse to return.
6 I listened and heard,
But they do not speak aright.
No man repented of his wickedness,
Saying, ‘What have I done?’
Everyone turned to his own course,
As the horse rushes into the battle.
- ► 2016 (74)
- EW! The Homeside Restaurant Edition
- My Wonderful Saturday in 22 Pictures
- Thursday’s Thoughts: The “For Christians” Edition...
- Today's World...it's not always such a nice place
- Monday Musings...The Sam's Club Edition
- Elementary Memories, My Dear...
- Testing, testing...is anyone missing Cade's Cove?
- Rules of the Boot
- Monday Musings...The "They're Back" Edition!
- Civil War Saturday...in pictures!
- I Totally Stole This One...
- What Time Is It?
- ▼ May (12)
- ► 2012 (112)
- ► 2011 (96)
- ► 2010 (84)